Thursday, May 1, 2008

Spiced Grated Carrots, Kerala Style



Grated carrots. Who knew they could be good? While I really enjoyed the flavor of this recipe, my execution sucked. I let the yogurt overcook and it sort of turned into a weird dairy curd. Oops, my bad. Mangoes & Curry Leaves Culinary Travels Through The Great Subcontinent even warned me that this could happen. Anyhow, my lust for Indian vegetable recipes continues. And so does my lust for a nice Irish lass. Rawr!

2 tablespoons of oil
1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
1/2 cup of minced onion
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon grated or minced ginger
2 green chiles, seeded and cut up
10 curry leaves (exactly 10...I will hunt you down if you disobey my decree)
1.5 cups of grated carrots
salt
1/2 cup of yogurt (recipe says "preferably full-fat")

Heat oil (medium-high heat) in a heavy skillet or wok. Add the mustard seeds and cover until they pop. (You'll be able to hear them popping, trust me.) Add the onion and turmeric and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the ginger, chiles and currry leaves and stir-fry until the onions are soft. Add the carrots and salt. Cook until the carrots are very soft. (Or, I guess you could just cook them until the carrots are done to your liking. I'm not a tyrant...really, I'm not.)

Turn heat to very low. Add the yogurt and stir the yogurt into the carrots. (You just want to heat the yogurt.) "Do not allow it to boil." I didn't. But it still separated on me. I guess the secret is to not use any heat at all? I dunno.

Time-10 minutes for prep, 10 for cooking.

Food cost. Again, I'm not going to cost this out but, rest assured, it's cheap. Do you see any ingredients that might be expensive? I thought not.

LOLCat:

2 comments:

zlamushka said...

Mike,
This carrto thingy sounds totally delish. I love curry leaves.. See? this was (almost) vegan.. have you tried soyghurt yet? cute salad, indeed.

Mike Czyzewski said...

i also love curry leaves...too bad i just ran out last night and am having trouble finding more!

i have tried soyghurt...not as good as regular!