Friday, February 8, 2008

Lemongrass Marinated Pork

This is going to be a quickie post where I give you a pretty standard marinade I use for grilled pork. I usually make lettuce wraps with the pork but sometimes, like tonight, I just want a plate of fresh rice and pork.

Pork. I'm unsure what cut this is...All I know is that I was at the Asian market and I saw an unmarked cut of pork. I checked it out and noticed that it had a terrific looking mix of fat to lean so I asked the butcher where on the pig it was from. He didn't speak English so he grabbed another butcher. This butcher just pointed to his face. I assume cutlets of pig face? Who knows. Anyhow, it looked terrific and was thin so I decided to grill it. This is a little under a pound of meat. You could also use thin loin cutlets or thin pork chops. Given that I was at the Asian market, I grabbed stuff for a Vietnamese marinade.

The marinade: Half of a grated onion, 2 cloves of grated garlic, 3-4 tablespoons of finely chopped lemongrass, a tablespoon of fish sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1.5 tablespoons of brown sugar, a powerful shake of white pepper, a teaspoon of curry powder and 3 tablespoons of oil. Mix well, combine with the pork. I usually marinate this overnight.

I am using a grill pan. I let the thing heat up for 15 minutes over high heat. I want it good and hot...just set a timer and walk away. Remove the pork from the marinade and try to wipe off the excess marinade. The sugar will burn so you need to be careful. Dry the meat off and slap onto the heated grill. Let it sit for 3 minutes, undisturbed. Don't peak, don't touch it. Nothing. After three minutes, rotate the meat. This will give you those cool hatch marks. After the second 3 minute set, flip the meat over and...voila!
Cook the second side in a similar fashion to the first side.

Let the meat rest for 5 minutes. This is enough time to quickly saute some bean sprouts.
Cut the meat...it'll still be slightly pink:
Here's a fun garnish...take a lime wedge and stick the wedge part, not the rind, in salt...get it nicely coated. When you squeeze the lime over the meat, it'll take some salt with it. Delicious, trust me.

Since I'm trying to be more veggie-centric, here was my dinner:
Three small slices of meat, rice, bean sprouts with an Indonesian sambal (homemade!) and lemongrass braised long beans. Mmmmmm. And no, the picture isn't supposed to be artfully presented. It is what it is.

No comments: