Monday, October 29, 2007

The Anti-Igor's Reward Dinner

For whatever reason, the Igor Omelette from last night really made me crave vegetables...I really can't imagine why. While at the grocery store early this morning, I spied acorn squash on sale so I bought one.

I decided to make one of my favorite side dishes...Mashed Winter Squash. Super easy.

Take an acorn squash and cut it vertically in half. Mine was about 2 pounds.
Scoop out the innards:
Rub the cut side with a bit of oil and lay the squash, cut-side down, on a foil lined baking sheet.
Chuck into a preheated 400 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Bake until done. You'll know it's done when a knife easily pierces the flesh.

Allow to cool to a manageable temperature. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in a bowl.

Mash with a potato masher or squeeze it through your fingers...I don't really care. To finish, season with salt, a pat of butter, maple syrup and a bit of apple cider vinegar. My squash was already quite sweet so minimal enhancement was necessary. I think I used about a half tablespoon of maple syrup. Maybe a teaspoon of vinegar but you're the one eating it so you season it how you like. Orange zest is also a very appropriate flavor.

I served this with a mixed greens salad with blue cheese and a sherry vinegar/maple vinaigrette, leftover lentils and a multi-vitamin. Mmmm....wholesome.
Time- 55 minutes, most all of it unsupervised.
Food Cost
Squash- $1.50
Greens- $0.70
Incidentals- $0.50
Total- $2.70

No comments: