Friday, October 26, 2007

Guest Post: Shepherd's Pie


Boy, how many shepherds are in a shepherd's pie? hahaha, if only the joke were grammatically correct. but seriously, folks, I've got a midterm in two hours and I'm doing everything BUT studying. I even practiced the violin for a bit and, for those of you who know my long, checkered past with the instrument, that's a HUGE deal. Related rates and exponential change...blah, blah, blah.

Anyhow, I'm puttting up Jorge's guest post. hahaha, I'm listening to the last movement of Mozart #35 "haffner"...let's sing along...

My name is geor-gie
I made shepherd's pi-ie
Won't..you...read..my guest post.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha, I truly am a huge nerd. Here's Jorge:

Shepherd’s pie

My only experience with shepherd’s pie before now was eating it in my college cafeteria at Peabody. The food here there was notoriously bad, and of all the crappy food they slopped out, shepherd’s pie was possibly the worst.

In this entry, I will try to make a shepherds pie that I might actually choose over a dinner of cheerios and milk, like I would back in college.

Ok, here’s what we are working with. This is sort of a healthy version using ground turkey. You could probably use any ground meat you want to. Also, I’m using corn instead of peas.

Chopped shallots, diced carrot, frozen corn, ground turkey, Worcestershire, oil, chicken stock, thyme, and bay leaves for the meat base


Potatoes, milk, eggs, and butter for the mashed potatoes.


Start by sautéing up the shallots and carrots in some oil, and add the thyme and bay leaf

Add ground turkey, brown, and add some stock.

Cook this for about 20-30 minutes until the stock is mostly reduced. This is probably still too liquidy.

For the mashed potatoes, peel and boil potatoes, add egg yolks (about 2 per pound of potato) milk, butter, and plenty of salt and white pepper.

Ok, time to assemble the pie:

And time to put in the oven, 375 until it’s golden brown.

(ed. doesn't this look EXACTLY like cornbread?)

And here is the final dish! It was pretty good, very hearty and satisfying.


Thus sayeth my roommate. I have to say, I'm a HUGE fan of Shepherd's Pie and this was a pretty good one. Very, very comforting. Anyways, I'm going to go memorize a few trigonometric identities. Don't you wish you were me?

No comments: