Wednesday, November 21, 2007

$2.00/day Food Challenge Post #3

I have been giving this food challenge much thought. Here are some of the things I've come up with.

Breakfast: Originally, I'd planned on the usual cereal, milk and coffee. However, I realized that the less processed the product is, the cheaper it should be per serving. Thus, I decided that oatmeal would be cheaper than traditional boxed cereal. Now, oatmeal can be pretty bland stuff so I usually use maple syrup and butter to jazz it up but maple syrup is expensive. Apples are inexpensive so I will be making some caramelized apples (butter, brown sugar and apples) to help improve the flavor of my breakfast. Coffee is a no brainer...must have coffee.

Lunches and Dinners: Beans, rice, lentils, bulgur wheat...I will be building my meals around these substances. I will also be eating as many veggies as possible. The asian market has got TONS of different vegetables for around a dollar a pound. In addition, I will keep a supply of caramelized onions on hand. I will also make a roasted garlic puree as it is delicious and can complement a variety of foods.

More thoughts when I actually start. I really need to start jotting my ideas down b/c I'm inevitably going to forget a few.

1 comment:

George said...

you are taking this way too seriously.

Here's my plan:

step 1: go to store, spend $2 on food
step 2: eat the food
step 3: win competition!